People, Political Leaders Show Their Support for Masrat Zahra On Twitter.
Masrat Zahra, a 26-year-old female photojournalist from the
district's primary city of Srinagar, whose work has showed up in a few
distributions including The Washington Post, The New Humanitarian, TRT World,
Al Jazeera, The Caravan and others has been booked under the stringent Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) for uploading photographs which can provoke
the public to disturb law and order.
An announcement by Srinagar's Cyber Police Station on Saturday said it got data through "solid sources that one Facebook client to be specific 'Masrat Zahra' is transferring against national posts with criminal goal". The client is additionally transferring presents that equivalent on extol the counter national exercises and scratch the picture of law authorizing offices other than causing antagonism against the nation," it said.
An announcement by Srinagar's Cyber Police Station on Saturday said it got data through "solid sources that one Facebook client to be specific 'Masrat Zahra' is transferring against national posts with criminal goal". The client is additionally transferring presents that equivalent on extol the counter national exercises and scratch the picture of law authorizing offices other than causing antagonism against the nation," it said.
Police said a first data report (FIR) was documented on
Saturday and an examination is on. She has been brought before the police on
Tuesday.The UAPA allows the government to blacklist individuals as
"terrorists," requiring the federal government and law enforcement
officers to be imprisoned for up to seven years.
Zahra on Monday told Al Jazeera via phone that the police
and government are attempting to "gag the voices of writers in
Kashmir".
"Police has no place referenced that I am a writer.
They have said that I am a Facebook client," she said.
Zahra said she had been charged for posting her effectively
distributed works throughout the years, calling the claims
"stunning".
"I have been sharing my authentic pictures which have
just been distributed in various Indian and universal associations via
web-based networking media for which I'm being booked," she said.
Many went on to twitter including Mehbooba Mufti and Omar
Obdullah to support her
Intimidating & harassing journalists in J&K to stifle reportage has become the norm. Masarat Zahra, a photojournalist was booked under draconian UAPA for allegedly ‘uploading anti national posts’. In J&K using VPNs or social media is now seen as a threat to public order.— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) April 20, 2020
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) April 20, 2020
Police in Kashmir have charged photojournalist Masrat Zahra, a @newhumanitarian contributor, under India’s Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. She is accused of uploading “anti-national posts” to social media.https://t.co/UGUDWmhrnK— The New Humanitarian (formerly IRIN News) (@newhumanitarian) April 20, 2020
For years Masrat Zahra photographed the unfolding humanitarian crisis in Kashmir. Now she's been charged by Indian authorities for indulging in 'anti-national' behaviour. She faces a jail term of up to seven years. https://t.co/D0dkPigRUB #india #journalism— Steve Chao (@SteveChaoSC) April 20, 2020
‘I’m speechless’, photo journalist in J&K @Masratzahra tells ThePrint’s @AzaanJavaid after being booked for ‘anti-national’ posts.https://t.co/7Ftez1xE4j— Saif Ullah Khan (@saifizm) April 20, 2020
“The police didn’t call me directly to inform me about the FIR. I came to know about it from my colleagues.”https://t.co/3uhm7JJoGv— Supriya Sharma (@sharmasupriya) April 20, 2020
"When I left home today, I hugged my mother because I wasn’t sure whether I would come back home or not," @Masratzahra tells @shafaqjourno in this interview. "I never thought that one day I will be booked for performing my professional duties." https://t.co/TXhFYiehIl— Betwa Sharma (@betwasharma) April 20, 2020
The NWMI demands withdrawal of FIR lodged against photojournalist, @Masratzahra, by the Cyber Police, Srinagar, under the draconian UAPA. We demand: Police & security forces in Kashmir & across the country stop such tactics to intimidate journalistshttps://t.co/w8z4gLUFZU— Neha Dixit (@nehadixit123) April 20, 2020
Charging photojournalist @Masratzahra under the UAPA is an assault on press freedom, it is tyrannical, and we should all condemn it and resist it. #IStandWithMasratZahra https://t.co/KkWZ2rFjQW— Salman Anees Soz (@SalmanSoz) April 20, 2020
— Aishe (ঐশী) (@aishe_ghosh) April 20, 2020

0 Comments